Friday, August 14, 2009

MY MORTIFICATION

I think that my face could still possibly be red from my mortification today. I'll just tell you that it ends up with a sweet little baby crying from the horror that is me.

Okay. I will be using false names to protect the identity of innocent people.
The last name I will be using for these people is Horsefeather. It has a little something something doesn't it? Ah, horsefeathers! I regress.

I worked this week at First Pres doing childcare for the teachers that are doing training. I saw the name of a new teacher and wondered if she is related to any of the people that I know by the same last name. At the end of the day, I stopped her and I said,

"Hey. I know a ton of 'Horsefeathers'. Are you related to any of them?"

Mrs. Horsefeather
"I sure I am."

"I went to college with an Andy and a Jason Horsefeather. Do you know them?"

"Yes, they are my husband's uncle's cousin's nephews." Or something like that. "We have huge family reunions with all of the Horsefeathers."

"Oh. I knew some in Tahlequah too."

"That is where a lot of my husband's family is from."

Me:
"I totally had a huge crush on Kent in high school."

Mrs. Horsefeather:
"That is my HUSBAND."

"AHHHH!!!" Guffaw. Bright red. Laugh. Guffaw some more. Hands cover face.....

About that time, sweet baby Sam in her arms starts screaming. I have scared this poor little baby. Kent's poor little baby.

I am now trying to get out of this completely awkward situation.

"Yeah I went to church camp in high school with him and Joe and Bob..."

"He loved camp! What is your name?"

"Um, no. I'm not telling you my name."

Ring Ring. Mrs. Horsefeather's phone rings. She answers and looks at me,

"Hey. He's here in the building."

"AHHHH!" Laugh. Guffaw.

Then I ran away. Seriously, what would I say to him.
"Uh, hi. I liked you 15 years ago. So, anyway, I made your baby cry and freaked out your wife. Talk to you later!"

So, I didn't. I ran away.
That is how mature women do things.

2 comments:

  1. this is why dj tells me never to talk to people...ha ha, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the "Horsefeather" men are quite irrestible. However, you might just stick to telling your therapist that from now on :).

    Speaking of therapists, I kinda want one so I can have an hour away from the kids every week and talk to someone who will listen. Let's be each others....

    ReplyDelete