Tuesday, June 16, 2009

dead car, nice house, and a life lesson

Okay, so as you soon read, my life, and thus my blog, revolves around my children.
Today started with running late to basketball camp. We ran to the car --

"GET YOUR SHOES ON!" "GET YOUR BALL!" "WASH YOUR DIRTY FACE!"

Finally, we're all in and I go to start the car. Nothing. Nada. Dead. Great! So, I start making calls. My father-in-law comes to the rescue but not before my 8 year old is weeping like a baby. I'm pretty sure I didn't say what I was thinking, which was, "Seriously. Shut your whining pie hole." I'm a much better mom than that. So, I think it probably went more like, "Seriously. Shut your whining cake hole." Just kidding. Just kidding. Just kidding. We made it to camp 30 minutes late and all was well.

A little later, my sweet 5 year old, who is a wee bit like her mommy, came in with a paper. She looked at it and said,
"6814. That's the number."
"Of what?"
"The number of the nice house. It has a pool, lots of gamerooms, and the kitchen has hot and cold water."
"What are you talking about?"
"The nice house for us I saw on TV."
I walked in her room to see what show she was watching. That's right. It was the Go Scout Homes channel. That girl...
Guess it is better than the time she came in asking for a Nuvaring pool in the backyard.

I try to be a good mom, but I fail most of the time. Today, I let them try all of the icy flavors at 7-11 and they could pick out any drink they wanted.
"Are you sure?"
"Are you sure that you're sure?"
We walk out with 2 Dr. Pepper icies. By the time we reached the house, they both decided that they didn't like them. So, trying to teach them a little lesson, I said,
"You both owe me a dollar."
Off they skipped to their rooms and brought back a dollar. I offered them their dollar back if they would drink some of what they picked out. My son responded,
"No, it's fine. You can have it. It's only 1 dollar. I have lots more." My daughter nodded her head in agreement.
I'm pretty sure that they learned their lesson. I feel really good about it.

4 comments:

  1. I realized when I read this that it sounds like my daughter is sweet and my son is a whiner. Just so everyone is in the clear. They are both equally sweet and equally whiners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cracks me up!! Today I made sure Jax knew the definition of spoiled! I hope the car works tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously. Funny. Next time make them pay you a dollar and stil drink the things...they won't be skipping around the house then, will they?!?!

    If your baby does any freaky in utero acrobatics that give Todd the heebie-jeebies then you must blog about it!

    ReplyDelete